Saturday, August 12, 2023

GUNTAWANG 1840s

NEWS ITEMS

1841 - FORGING A CHECK.
William Chambers was given in charge to a Jury for forging a check, purporting to be an order from Edwin Rouse, of Guntawang, near Mudgee, upon the cashier of the New South Wales Bank, with the intention of defrauding one William Blackman, for the sum of £8. There was another count for issuing.

Mr. Edwin Rouse:- I am a grazier, residing at Guntawang, near Mudgee, about ninety miles off. I know Mr. Blackman, he resides sixteen milen from me; there is no other person of my name in the neighbourhood. The check put into my hand now has my name upon it, but it is not my writing, it is a forgery. I have never authorised any person to give checks in my name. I keep money in the Bank of New South Wales. The prisonor has been in my service since he came to the colony, and is now a ticket-of-leave holder. He absconded once from my service, and went to Port Phillip and Van Diemen's Land. I know his writing, the writing upon the check is like his. He was to have £26 wages for nine months, and beef and mutton as rations.

William Blackman deposed to the prisoner stopping at his house, and passing the check in question. He and seven or eight other people drank together, and they run up a score of more than £5, I gave him £2 9s. in change. The prisoner then went to the Mudgee races. In the month of July I was called upon to attend the Police Office, and was told the check was a forgery.

George Allen, a storekeper to the last witness, deposed that after the check was proved to be a forgery, the prisoner called and told me that he had got the money to take up the check. We had not got the check; he took money out of his pocket, but I told him it was of no use.

Mr. Rouse re-called hy the Judge:— I never wrote an entire blank check in my life; my clerk always fills up my checks; I was out of the printed checks just before last harvest, and my clerk wrote out a dozen, but that is not one of them. The signature resembles my writing, but I swear it is not mine. I always pay my men in checks—the checks furnished by the bank. I have paid £700 in that way since January last.
His Honor, summed up, and the Jury returned a verdict of guilty. The prisoner was remanded for sentence.
Source:  The Sydney Herald (NSW : 1831 - 1842) Mon 4 Oct 1841 Page 2

1843 - BIRTH
On the 14th instant [June], at Guntawang, near Mudgee, Mrs. Edwin Rouse, of a daughter.
Source: The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Fri 23 Jun 1843

1843 - NOTICE.
ALL persons having claims on the undersigned are requested to present them at the office of Robert Johnston, Esq., solicitor, Windsor, where arrangements will be made for their liquidation and all persons are cautioned against giving credit to any person whatsoever on my account, either by produced written order or otherwise.
J. R. ROUSE.
Guntawang, near Mudgee, October 28
Source: The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Fri 10 Nov 1843 Page 1

1845 - [ADVERTISEMENT]
STOLEN, from the paddock of the undersigned, about the latter end of March or beginning of April last, a bay Horse, with star on forehead, a small white snip on the nose, branded with Rouse's peculiar R brand, and I horizontally underneath on the off shoulder, and about 15½ hands high.
A reward of Ten Pounds will be given on conviction of the parties, on applying to
MR. E. ROUSE, Guntawang, Mudgee.

1846 - £1 REWARD.
ABSCONDED from the House service of the Undersigned, John Keelee, per Sir Charles Forbes, from Hobart Town, 1846. It is supposed he is in Sydney; whoever shall apprehend the same, so as to lead to his conviction will receive the above reward; a warrant having been granted from the Mudgee bench.
Name—John Keelee
Ship, Sir Charles Forbes
Trade, basket maker
Native of London
Height, 5 feet 1 inch
Age, 38 years
Complexion, fair
Head, large
Hair, light brown
Visage, oval
Forehead, high
Eyes, large grey
Nose, large
Mouth, wide.
EDWIN ROUSE, Guntawang, Near Mudgee.

1847 - TO JAMES RAYMOND, ESQ, SYDNEY
SIR.—I have on many occasions been inclined to trouble you, but have refrained hitherto from doing so, hoping that some alteration would be effected either in the transmission of letters to Mudgee, or in the delivery thereof to those parties addressed.
On Monday, the 18th January, a letter was posted at Sydney, directed to me at Guntewang. It was of great consequence, and an immediate answer was requested. The mail duly arrived, letters were enquired for, but the letter in question was not delivered.
On the following week, Friday, the 29th, I again enquired, and among others, the letter bearing the Sydney postmark of the 18th January, was delivered. I complained to the Mudgee Postmaster respecting it, and was told that it had not bean sent to Mudgee. I therefore appeal to you, Sir hoping that you will endeavour to ascertain, and, if possible, to remedy the evil.
I have borne with the inconvenience and loss resulting through the neglect of some person or other connected with the Post Office until I can do it no longer; and I fear must be obliged to ultimately seek compensation for losses actually sustained. I well know, Sir, the irregularities of such frequent occurrence in the Mudgee post, is quite contrary to your wishes, and I do hope that by thus publicly addressing you the injuries complained of may not be repeated.
I have the honour to be, Sir, Your most obedient servant,
EDWIN ROUSE.
Guntawang, near Mudgee,
February 4