Monday, August 23, 2021

NORRIS, SIDNEY CHARLES

Sidney Charles Norris was born in 1861. I believe he was the son of Alfred James Norris who was listed at birth as Charles S.

Sidney was a farmer at Twelve Mile near Mudgee River. He married Sophia Smith.

Their children included:

  • Maud M, 1888, Gulgong
  • Ethel, 1890, Mudgee
  • Hilda Eunice was born in 1891 at Three Mile. She died from convulsions at 7 weeks of age on 31 December 1891.
  • Alice M, 1893 Gulgong
Sidney died at the age of 62 in Gulgong on 28 May 1923.


SIDNEY NORRIS in the NEWS

1899 - [JUNCTION INN]
The straight-going Sid Norris is doing an excellent business at the Slasher's Flat Junction Hotel.
Good gold is being obtained in Sid Norris' paddock at Slasher's Flat. The prospects are about six penny weights to the load.


Former Green Swamp Inn
This would be the old hotel which burnt down in 1912
Source: Mudgee Museum.
Former Green Swamp Inn

Former Green Swamp Inn, circa 1898 - 1900
"The house on the right was built by Grandma Martin for the children and the Governess"
Source: Photo and information courtesy Mudgee Museum

1900 - [RACE DAY]
A good crowd was present at Sid Norris' races on the 24th May. A number of races was run off. Mr. J. R. Atkinson was judge, and Mr. Riley starter. There was also a good working committee. A ball was held at night. Mr. Norris intends to hold another day's races shortly.

1900 - Blood Tells.
Mr. Sid Norris, of the Green Swamp Hotel, is a believer in the very good axiom, that if you are going to breed anything, be it a rooster, a pig, or a cow, it is just as well to breed a good one, and that blood not only tells, but pays.
Passing his place the other day, a 'Guardian' man noticed some perfect Yorkshire pigs, some really aristocratic American bronzewing turkeys, and fowls and geese of equal purity of breed. The pigs were really splendid animals, and Mr. Norris finds it impossible to supply the orders for suckers. The Yorkshire, a breed much favored by Mr. Syd Webb, of Merrendee, is one of the finest types of bacon pigs.

1900 - Those Nasty Holes.
A valuable horse belonging to Mr. P. Morrissey, teamster, on Saturday last fell into one of the many diggers' holes which perforate the reserve opposite Mr. Sid Norris' hotel. Willing hands rescued the poor animal after four hours' work, but it died a short time later.

1900 - Races at Cullenbone.
Mr. Sid Norris, of Slasher's Flat, is again out with a nice little programme of horse races and sports, to be held on the 2nd January (Wednesday). The principal race is the Slasher's Flat handicap of £3, with three other races. The first race is to start at 12 noon. At night a grand ball is to be held.

1900 - The Cullenbone Mail Service.
MR. E. RICHARDS, M.P., is in receipt of the following letter re the Cullenbone mail service: —
Postal Department, Sydney, September 4, 1899.
Sir — Adverting to my communication, dated the 25th February last, relative to yours of the 19th idem, and the previous correspondence, including the petition presented by you from Messrs. John Murphy, McEwen and Cox, Sidney Norris, and other residents of Mudgee and Gulgong and district, for the establishment of mail facilities between Mudgee, Cullenbone, and Gulgong, via Slasher's Flat and Three Mile, in connection with which a three times a-week mail service was established between the places named from the 1st March last to the 31st December next, it being decided to consider the question of curtailing either the service between Mudgee, Eurunderee, Home Rule, and Gulgong, or that mentioned above, from the 1st January, 1900, if the revenue did not warrant the expenditure for both services, I am directed to intimate that it appears, from the report which has been obtained from an Inspector in the matter, that the correspondence forwarded between Mudgee and Gulgong, via Cullenbone, consisting only of the contents of two private bags and a few letters for roadside delivery and for Cullenbone, affords quite insufficient revenue to warrant the expenditure of £20 per annum to carry on the service; moreover, the residents of Cullenbone and the two private bag holders referred to are served by the bi-weekly mail between Mudgee and Wellington. It has, therefore, been decided to discontinue the conveyance of mails to and from Mudgee, Cullenbone, and Gulgong on the 31st December next, but to invite tenders for the daily mail service between Mudgee, Eurunderee, Log Paddock, Home Rule, and Gulgong from the 1st January, 1900, the continuance of the latter service being justified.
S. H. Lambton.

1903 - Gulgong to Mudgee Record
On Tuesday afternoon T. Sheridan, C. McCully, J. Rochester, and R. Spoonor made an effort to beat the last-named rider's record of 50½ minutes from Gulgong to Mudgee, by the Green Swamp road, a distance of 17½ miles. The comparison of the two rides is really fallacious, because Spooner's time was made when riding, alone, whereas on Tuesday Mr. Harry Byrnes acted as pacer with his motorcycle, which is credited with a possible pace of nearly 40 miles an hour. Spooner was in bad condition, having hurt his knee, and it was quickly seen he was out of it. McCully was riding strongest, until just the other side of Norris' hotel he collided with Sheridan, and smashing his front wheel was put out of the race. Byrnes, putting on splendid pace, brought Sheridan and Rochester along in good style, several exciting incidents occurring as the 'puffing billy,' followed by the two desperate cyclists, rushed through mobs of cattle, en route for the sale yards for Wednesday's sales. However, all dangers were safely passed, and a large crowd was gathered at the post office, when Byrnes came up the street with Sheridan hanging to his wheel, and landed the plucky young rider home in 47½ minutes — a truly excellent performance. Sheridan thus becomes the winner of the gold medal donated by Mr. Walter Mason, jeweller, of Market street. Rochester was only a minute or two behind.

1904 - [RUMOUR]
Rumoured that Mr. Sid Norris is selling out, at Cullenbone, and Mr. Will Norris has handed over to Mr. Thomas Davis, son of Joshua, of Stubbo, near Gulgong. Both retiring bonifaces have done well, and will probably turn their attention to other spheres.
Source: Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW : 1890 - 1954) Thu 17 Mar 1904 Page 12

1904 - [MINING]
Mr. Tibbits, of Sydney, who entered into mining operations on Mr. Sid Norris' freehold at Cullenbone, is quite satisfied with his prospects. Work is being vigorously pushed forward, and speaking to him a week ago, we learned that they were down 50ft., and that the formation gave every satisfaction.

1907 - Mudgee Police Court - Two Men Charged with Robbery.
On Saturday last before the Police Magistrate, John Thomas Smith Barton and William Gawthorne, jun., were charged with robbing Joseph Busby of the sum of £11 7s.
Mr. G. Davidson appeared for the accused Gawthorne, while Mr. H. Clarke defended Barton, and Subinspector Atkinson prosecuted for the police.
Joseph Busby a labourer, deposed: I was working recently at Weetalibah; was paid off about the middle of the month; I received £3 4s (cheque produced) and £5 3s cheque;alter leaving Weetalabah I was making for Mudgee; I called at Norris' hotel on Saturday, 19th Oct.; I came into Mudgee on the Gulgong coach; the driver is now in the court; I paid my fare (2s 0d) at Norris'; I had two cheques when I left Norris' and some notes; the cheques were rolled up in three or four notes; I had the money in the leather purse produced; I put it in my right hand trousers pocket; I rode on the box seat between the driver and another man; I think the accused Barton, was the man; I was drunk at the time; I had 7 or 8 drinks; the two accused were skylarking with me and pulling me about along the roads; I don't recollect much after that; when I got out I sat down on the side of the road and missed my money; that was about three miles from Mudgee along the Gulgong road; did not find my money; went back to Norris' Hotel on the following day to see if I cashed my cheques; then I came to Mudgee, and on the Monday following went and saw the accused Gawthorne; asked if he saw anything of my money; I described the money, and he asked me if they were crossed cheques; I said, ' Yes '; he then said, 'Nobody else could cash the cheques but you'; I then said, 'I will go to the police'; he said that would be useless, as nobody could cash them; he told me I got off the coach as I wanted to go to sleep; that was about 8 o'clock on Monday morning; I then reported to the police, and Constable Donald went out along the road with me; got my swag at Mr. Wild's place; did not authorise either of the accused to take my money.
By Mr. Davidson: I do not recollect getting out of the coach; I missed my money when I lay down beside the fence; it was between 5 and 6 when I got out of the coach; missed the money that night about an hour after I got out of the coach; I got to Norris' on Sunday morning: Gawthorne did not tell me to go and see the police; I did not tell Gawthorne the name of the drawers of the cheques; I told him what I lost altogether; I have no recollection of calling at another public house after Norris'; I have not been told how they were skylarking with me, I remember that; it was about 3 or 4 miles from Mudgee where I got out of the coach; I have very little memory of getting out of the coach.
Agnes Cooney deposed: I remember the cheque produced being handed to me, but do not remember the man; he was in company of the accused Gawthorne; the stranger shouted; I do not recognise the man in court; I did not take much notice as it was Mr. McMaster's cheque ; I gave the change — five sovs, one shilling and sixpence; the stranger had tea at my place; subsequently paid the cheque in the bank; believe they went out after having drinks; believe it was about 5 p.m. when they called.
Maud Grady deposed: I know accused, Gawthorne; I remember him presenting cheque produced to me on 19th inst, after tea at night; there were others with him; Gawbhorne shouted, and I cashed the cheque.
Thos. Barclay Heath deposed: I am Ledger keeper in the Bank of New South Wales; I remember the cheque produced for £5 3s being forwarded to the Bank of Australasia, Sydney; it was received from Mr. Cooney on 21st October.
Constable Percy, a plainclothes officer stationed at Newtown, Sydney, deposed to arresting the accused, Barton, in Sydney, and charging him with the theft before the Newtown Police Court. After hearing evidence he was remanded to Mudgee.
By Mr. Clarke: I did not know the accused before.
Constable McNamara, stationed at Mudgee, deposed: About 5 p.m., on 21st ultimo, I was present with Subinspector Atkinson, and had a conversation with the accused Gawthorne. Gawthorne admitted being in company with a man who cashed a cheque at Cooney's on October 19; Gawthorne said he did not know the man, but he brought him from Gulgong on that day; he did not say who he was but I paid his fare at Gulgong; during the conversation, accused stated that the man did not say in Cooney's bar that he wanted a cheque cashed so as to pay his fare; Mr. Atkinson said, 'Did you pick a man up at Norris'?' Accused said, 'Yes, he was half drunk and I brought him to within three miles of Mudgee, when he wanted to get out, and I put him out'; Mr. Atkinson then asked, 'Did you cash a cheque at Grady's Hotel?' Accused said, 'Yes, on Saturday night'; Mr. Atkinson said: 'Where did you get it from?' accused said: 'I got it from the same man who cashed the cheque at Cooney's.' Mr. Atkinson: said 'What have you done with the money?' Accused said: 'I have it at home.' Mr. Atkinson said: 'Did this man tell you where to send it to him.' Accused said: 'I cashed it for him, I gave him the money outside Cooney's, but there was no one present.' Mr. Atkinson: 'Where did the man who was half drunk ride on the coach.' Accused said: 'In front with me.' I saw him to-day and he told me he lost two cheques; told him they would be no use to anyone if they were crossed: the accused admitted being past the police station that day, but he did not call and tell the police about the cheques he said he cashed; Mr. Atkinson said to accused that he did not consider the accused's action was very creditable in this matter; accused said he met Constable Donald along the road that day but did not tell him anything; I arrested the accused on the 28th ultimo; I cautioned him; accused said, ' G— blime this is hot;' when on the road to the lock up accused said, 'I suppose a man will get 12 years for this;' when in the lock-up the accused said, 'A man ought to knock his head off for getting me in this trouble;' I asked him whose head;' accused said, 'The man who went to Sydney.'
By Mr. Davidson: Am certain the words 'put him out' were used by the accused; he laughed when he said 'I suppose I'll get 12 years fo this'; he may have meant it for a joke.
Daniel Fitzpatrick deposed: I remember 19th of last month; I took a strange man (the Accused Barton) to the station that night; one morning a day or two after I met Gawthorne at the station and told him the police were looking for this man; he said 'Let them find him.'
Constable Donald deposed; I am a constable stationed at Mudgee; on the morning of 21st October at about five miles from Mudgee, on the Gulgong road, I found, the purse produced; I found it on the wheel track; on the same afternoon I met accused Gawthorn, and asked him if he had a swagman on the coach on Saturday; he said he dropped him because he was using obscene language and there were ladies in the coach; and the man wanted to have a sleep; he said he did not see him with a purse; he said he paid his fare at Norris' Hotel; accused said, 'I did not tell him that it was no use troubling the police as no one could cash them as they were crossed;'
Sidney Norris, licensee of the Junction Inn, deposed: Remember Busby being at my hotel on October 19; he left there by the Mudgee coach; saw him pay his fare to Gawthorne, and also saw two notes and two pieces of paper on him; he put the money in his trousers pooket; he wanted me to cash a cheque; he was drunk when he left my hotel.
Mr. Davidson and Mr. Clarke then submitted there was no case against their respective clients. The P.M. maintained that strong prima facie cases had been made out, and both accused having decided to be summarily dealt with, the defence was entered, upon.
John Thomas Smith Barton deposed: I am a stone mason; reside at St. Peters; was employed at Yarra Creek; came to Mudgee one month and three days before 19th October; I left Yarra Creek on 19th October for Mudgee; I know the prosecutor; we picked him up at Norris' Hotel and he was drunk; his swag was open when he drove up to the hotel; Gawthorne put the swag into the coach; we had to keep catching hold of him to prevent him falling off the coach; about three miles from Mudgee he was taken off the coach; I saw no attempt at robbery; I took nothing from him; I only saw 6d in his possession; I did not cash a cheque in Mudgee on 19th; I had a cheque for £7 9s from Mr. Bennett; when I got to Mudgee I took my swag off and arranged for tea; I never cashed a cheque in Mudgee, and never gave Gawthorne a cheque; I had absolutely nothing to do with the robbery; I am a widower with a family; I have been in the colony about 25 years.
By the Sub-Inspector: I remember seeing Mr. Norris; I did not see Busby pay Gawthorne; Gawthorne was skylarking with him; there was talk of fighting; I did not hear him use bad language; I could not say whether he wished to be let down or not; there were two ladies inside; Gawthorne said it was better to leave him out there than to take him into town; I never saw the purse produced; Busby got the money out of his pocket; I did not have a drink when we got to town; when I got home I had £6 odd; I paid for my ticket with a £1 note; I got my cheque cashed in Gulgong at a store by another man; I had £1 12s 4d when arrested; I paid my housekeeper £2 and three weeks rent 19s 6d, but cannot say what I spent; I am certain I was not in Cooney's bar with Gawthorne nor was I with him outside. By Mr. Davidson: Gawthorne asked Busby for his fare on the road; that might be six or seven miles away from Mudgee; I held the reins while Gawthorne helped Busby off the coach.
By the P.M.: I did not give Gawthorne a cheque to cash for me, and outside of Cooney's he did not give me any money.
William Thos. Gawthorne, coach driver, residing at Mudgee, deposed: Barton is the man who came in the coach with me; we picked up Busby, who paid me his fare at Slasher's Flat; Busby was using bad language along the road; about three miles from Mudgee he said he wanted to get off for a sleep; I got off the coach and took his swag; I did not ask him for his fare after leaving Norris'; when I came to Mudgee I drove to Cooney's; got off the coach a helped a lady out; we then went in to have a drink at Barton's invitation; I drank ginger wine and soda and he had a beer; Barton paid by cheque, which, I thought, was for £5 3s; Mrs Cooney cashed the cheque, and she gave the money to Barton; after that, we walked outside, and he asked me to cash a cheque; I said, 'Yes, if it is not too big'; that was just at the bar door; he handed me the cheque from his pocket; the cheque was for £3 4s, drawn by Mr. McMaster, of Weetalibah, and I cashed it; I afterwards cashed the cheque at Grady's; had about £40 on me when I cashed the cheque at Grady's; had the money to pay Loneragan's an account I owed them; Busby, when he came to me, said he lost a couple of cheques, and he had 'done' his swag; he did not tell me the amount; I asked him if the cheques were crossed; he said, ' Yes'; I then advised him to go and see the police; I meant, what I said to Constable McNamara about getting 12 years, as a joke.
By Sub-Inspector Atkinson: I have no doubt that Busby lost the money; I don't think that Barton could have reached over and taken the money from Busby's right hand trousers pocket without me seeing him; I did not tell my father anything of it; we were about ten minutes at Cooney's; I tendered the cheque at Grady's so as to turn it into cash; it cost me two shillings to cash the cheque; I said I made 11 pence that day; I did not say to Cafe 'cash this cheque so as to get a bloke's fare out of it;' it did not occur to me when Busby came to me that the two cheques of which he spoke were the ones Barton had; I did not tell Fitzpatrick not to tell the b——s (meaning the police) anything about Barton.
By the P.M.: It did not occur to me that the cheques were not Barton's when Busby spoke to me.
By Mr. Clarke: I know the exact amount of the chequre cashed at Cooney's and the name of the drawer through hearing Mrs. Cooney calling out the name and the amount.
William Norris deposed: I am a laborer residing in Mudgee; recollect being at Cooney's on the 19th November; recollect Gulgong coach coming in; Gawthorne was driving; Barton was on the box seat with him; Gawthorne and Barton went into the bar and remained in about two or three minutes; Wheeler and myself were standing close by; when they came out I saw Barton give Gawthorne something like paper from his pocket and Gawthorne appeared to give him money.
By Sub-Inspector Atkinson; I could not hear what Gawthorne and Barton were saying outside Cooney's, although I was only about four or five yards away. I did not see Gawthorne open the paper handed to him; I am a first cousin of Gawthorne's; I have not talked the case over with Gawthorne; we made no reference to it at all.
By Mr. Clarke: Gawthorne asked me to keep an eye on his horses till he came out of the bar. I saw Mr. Davidson. I was brought there by Gawthorne. Frederick Wheeler, residing in Mudgee, corroborated the evidence of the last witness. By Sub-Inspector Atkinson: I was watching the whole time, but I did not see what Barton gave Gawthorne, I did not tell Gawthorne what I saw.
By Mr. Clarke: I did not see what Gawthorne gave Barton.
Mr. Clarke then addressed the bench on behalf of Barton. He said that his client was an utter stranger to the district and he had the misfortune to come back from Gulgong with a drunken man. The man was too drunk to remember anything, and was just as likely that this charge might be made against anyone having the ill-fortune to be on that coach when the money was lost. He maintained that there was nothing in the evidence that would warrant a conviction against Barton.
Mr. Davidson followed on behalf of Gawthorne: He said he desired he point out the law, as the P. M. was in the position of judge and jury combined. If there was any suspicion against Gawthorne, he could not be convicted on that suspicion only. He was entitled to the benefit of the doubt. He (Mr. Davidson) did not wish to say anything about Barton, but he wanted to know what there was against Gawthorne? He was sound financially and when asked about the cheque he named the man whom he cashed it for. There was not a scintilla of evidence of guilt. Gawthorne swore that he had no hesitation in cashing the cheque because it was drawn by Mr. McMaster. He was in the company of three others when he cashed the cheque. Did that savour of guilt? One would think that if he stole the cheque he would have tried to cash it quietly by himself. He contended, therefore, that all his actions, while the cheque was in his possession, pointed to his innocence. It was sought by the police to prove prevarication on the part of Gawthorne, but the evidence did not show it. Barton had said that the money was taken out of Busby's left hand pocket, and it was not likely that Gawthorne could have stolen it. Norris and Wheeler were certain that Barton went into the bar with Gawthorne, and Mrs. Cooney swears that a strange man also had drinks with him. He, therefore, contended that Gawthorne's evidence was true and there was no evidence to connect him with the robbery.
The P.M. said the facts were simple. Busby travelled in the coach and was under the influence of drink. He swears he lost £11 7s. That money was traced, and the two accused were connected with it. Therefore, the onus rested upon them to prove their innocence. He had no doubt, whatever that both the accused were guilty. He thereupon sentenced each of the accused to pay a fine of £15, in default two months' imprisonment with hard labor. He would allow them to pay at the rate of £2 per month, the first instalment to be paid at once, and sureties found for the remainder.

1913 - IMPROVEMENTS.
At tho Gulgong Licensing Court, the application or Sidney Norris to effect improvements to his hotel at
Slasher's Flat was granted.
Source: Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW : 1890 - 1954) Thu 27 Nov 1913 Page 21

1915 - [HOLIDAYING IN TASMANIA]
Misses Maud and Ethel Norris, daughters of Mr. Sid Norris, of Cullenbone, has just returned from a lengthy holiday in Tasmania.
Source: Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW : 1890 - 1954) Thu 4 Feb 1915 Page 30

1918 - [HOLIDAYING IN SYDNEY]
The Misses Maude and Ethel Norris, daughters of Mr. Sid Norris, of the Junction Hotel, Slasher's Flat, are spending an extended holiday in the city. They motored in their own car as far as Katoomba, whence they look train for Sydney.

1918 - [FISH]
Last week Mr. Sid Norris sent, to this office two very fine fish caught in the Cudgegong, near to his place. Thev were fine fish. and were greatly appreciated.
Source: Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW : 1890 - 1954) Thu 9 May 1918 Page 24

1919 - NORRIS V. MURPHY. CLAIM FOR £400 DAMAGES FOR SLANDER.
VERDICT, FOR PLAINTIFF FOR £150.

Herbert Norris sought to recover from John Murphy, £400 as damages for alleged defamation of character. Mr. C. A. Hardwick (instructed by Mr. George Davidson) for the plaintiff, and Mr. Sidney Mack, K.C. (instructed by Mr. J. J. Dowd) for defendant.
The following jury of four were empanelled: — Henry Gilham, William Grant, George Collyer, and Albert Colless.
Herbert Norris deposed: I am plaintiff in this action, and reside at my father's hotel at Cullenbone. I have been in the habit, with Mr. Murphy's permission, of cutting oak and willow from his property for the purpose of feeding stock. I had been doing this for a month or six weeks. On March 26 defendant came to me, at the hotel, and asked me if he could get me to keep out of his paddock.
I said, "Yes, but you must have, some reason."
He said "I have."
I said I would like to hear it.''
He said, "You were seen with Rayner driving my sheep the night he took them away.''
I said, "Do you accuse me of sheep stealing, then I will make you prove it".
Defendant replied,"Go your ——hardest and I will put a lot more up on you."
Mr Hardwick: Who was present at the time?—My father.
Mr Hardwick: Where were you on March 11?—I was in Gulgong with my sister.
Mr. Mack: Did you ever ask for an apology from Mr. Murphy?—No, I never had the chance.
Plaintiff having been further cross-examined and re-examined, Sidney Charles Norris was called, who said he was the father of plaintiff, and remembered defendant coming to the hotel and the conversation which took place between him and his son. Plaintiff's version, which he corroborated.
Mr. Mack: During the conversation between defendant and your son did you call defendant a —— liar? — No. I never spoke.
Defendant did not give evidence. His Honor charged the jury at some length, and explained that the points they had to consider were whether the words alleged were used, whether they were defamatory; and, if so, the extent of the defamation. The jury then retired.
After about an hour the jury came into court and asked if the defendant was willing to go into the box and answer certain questions. Mr. Mack said the defendant was quite willing to go into the box but Mr. Hardwick objected. His Honor informed the jury that, as the case was closed, defendant could not go into the witness box.
After a further retirement, the jury returned a verdict for plaintiff for £150 damages. Mr. Mack said he considered the verdict an outrageous one. He asked for a new trial which his Honor refused.

1920 - Local Brevities
Mr. Sid Norris, mine host of the Junction Hotel, Slasher's Flat, who was somewhat seriously ill for some days, is, his many friends will be glad to know, now on the improve.

1921 - Mr. Sid Norris.
After very many years' residence at Slasher's Flat as proprietor of the Slasher's Flat Hotel, Mr. Sid Norris has disposed of the hotel to Mr. Ryan, a Queenslander. Mr. Norris proposes to take up his residence in Sydney. His health has not been good for some time past, and the change to the city and a life free from business worries should greatly advantage him.

1921 - Sale of Property.
Messrs. Malone and Barrett report the sale of Mrs. M. E. Munn's cottage and land in Market-street west to Mr. Sidney Norris, late of the Junction Inn, Gulgong.
1921 - To Live in Mudgee
It will be learnt with satisfaction that Mr. Sid Norris is going to reside in Mudgee. Mr. Norris recently sold the 'Junction Inn' Hotel, at Slasher's Plat, to Mr. T. Ryan and went to Sydney for a while. He has now purchased a very nice cottage in Mudeee from Mr. Munn, and has taken up his residence with his family here.
1923 - THE LATE MR. S. NORRIS.
In our issue of Thursday last, we recorded the death of Mr. Sidney Norris, one of our oldest and most estimable citizens. The late Mr. Norris conducted the Junction Inn Hotel (midway between Mudgee and Gulgong) for 24 years. He was 62 years of age at the time of his death, and is survived by one son, Herbert, of Springfield, Gulgong, and the following daughters: Mrs. E. Gray, jnr. (Marrickville), Mrs. E. Hitchings (Coogee), and Mrs. L. Saunders (Mosman). 
Mr. H. Barton conducted the funeral arrangements.

1923 - PROBATE
In the Supreme Court of New South Wales' Probate Jurisdiction. — in the Will of Sidney Charles Norris, late of Mudgee, formerly of Cullenbone, near Mudgee, in the State of New South Wales, Retired Hotelkeeper; deceased.— Application will be made after fourteen days from the publication hereof that Probate of the last Will of the abovenamed deceased may be granted to Sophia Norris, of Mudgee, aforesaid, widow the sole executrix named in the said Will, and all persona having any claims against the said estate are requested to send particulars thereof within the said fourteen days to, and all notices may be served at, the offices of the undersigned. M'PHERSON & BAWDEN, Proctors for the said Executrix, Market Street, Mudgee. By their agents, Messrs. Barry and Norris, 15 Castlereagh Street, Sydney.
Source: Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW : 1890 - 1954) Thu 7 Jun 1923 Page 25

1924 - MARRIED AT HOME RULE.
Mr. Herbert Norris, of Springfield, Gulgong, son of Mrs. and the late Sid Norris, for many years licensee of the Junction Inn Hotel, was married yesterday at Home Rule to Miss Alma Potts, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Potts, of Home Rule.

1939 - DEATHS
NORRIS.-April 25, 1939, at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sophia, beloved wife of the late Sidney Charles Norris, late of Gulgong, aged 79 years.