Tuesday, November 9, 2021

1860s


The following lots were for sale in 1860. The list is mainly interesting for who already owned land in the area at the time.

Situation.
  • On the left bank of Cooyal Creek, lying between J. Blackman's 640 acres and T. Blackman's 1060 acres.
  • On the right bank of Cooyal Creek, opposite lots 1 to 4
  • Near Cooyal Creek, adjoining the north boundary of W. R. Blackman's 45 acres 1 rood and the east boundary of N. Kane's 600 acres.
  • On Cooyal Creek, opposite and near A. J. Liddington's 640 acres (Gulgong).
  • On the right bank of Lawson's Creek, opposite W. Hayes' 756 acres.
  • Near the head of Piambong Creek, about 2½ miles northwesterly from G. Rouse's 75 acres 2 roods at the confluence of Piambong and Dogtrap Creeks.
  • At the Two Mile Flat, near Lower Piambong, and about 2 miles north-westerly from lot 17
  • On the road from Wellington to Mudgee, near Guntawang, lying between Rouse's 1147 acres and his 1195 acres.
  • On the left bank of Cudgegong River, opposite and near to G. Rouse's 1053 acres at the confluence of Puggoon Creek
  • On the left bank of Cudgegong River, near R. Rouse's 1222 acres at Wiadragah.
  • Near the road from Grattai to Mudgee, adjacent to G. Cox's 995 acres near Mudgee.

A Pioneer Goes North. - He Tells His Experience-Life in the Sixties.
(By the '"Guardian's" Special.)
Hearing that Mr. Jeremiah M. Keogh was about to leave Gulgong, after a residence of many years, the 'Guardian' reporter pounced upon him unawares and took down a few notes which are here given in Mr. Keogh's own words, with, perhaps, a little embroidery thrown in:
...
BREAD AND SPUDS.
Hearing of the gold rush at Gulgong, I made tracks for there on the day after the races at Two Mile Flat. Tents were all over the place, and miners of all nationalities in profusion. They were all in quest of gold. Their main trouble was want of bread. They were not short of beef, as Long Ome McFadden had a few sheets of bark stuck up with quarters of beef hanging therefrom. Mac's place was situated in Mayne-street, just opposite to where George Bellette's bakery now stands. Seeing that the miners must have bread, I hurried to Mudgee, and returned with two cartloads of the staff of life from Michael Daly's bakery, Mudgee, before they thought of building an oven on the goldfields.
I supplied them with bread, and they next cried for potatoes. I saddled a horse and made for Flatlands, the other side of Rylstone, bought potatoes, and took two teams laden with spuds to Gulgong. I paid £5 per ton for them at Flatlands, and received £11 per ton from the hungry Gulgong miners. I then saw the late John Scully (one of the best known men on the field) making his first batch of bread.

1868 - ANOTHER CHARGE AGAINST THE BUSHRANGER JOHNSON.
The Western Post of Saturday reports, that the following case was heard in the gaol, on Monday, the 1st instant, before Mr. G. Warburton. Charles Johnson, highway robbery under arms. Donald Miller deposed: I am a constable in the Mudgee police force; this evening I charged the prisoner with having stuck-up George Ashton, on the evening of the 6th April last, near Gulgong, and stealing from him about £16 in cheques, and about £4 in notes and silver; I produce a cheque marked A, which I received from Mr. Sub-Inspector Medley this evening; I did not then show the cheque to the prisoner; in reply to
the charge, prisoner asked if the weather was fine outside; I have shown the prisoner the cheque; he declines to look at it. 
George Ashton deposed: I am a farmer, and live at Talbragar; I recollect the evening of 6th April last; I
recollect being near a place called Gulgong; I was travelling on horseback along the road; I was in company with Mr. Woods and two Mr. Campbells, of Mudgee; we were stuck-up by Charles Johnson, now prisoner before the Court. Prisoner rode from behind, cantering his horse; he turned his horse round; he then said "Stand every man, or the first man that stirs hand or foot I will blow his brains out." He then ordered us off our horses. At the time he first spoke he had a revolver in his hand. After I got off my horse he asked me if I had any money. I said I had a little. He then told me to turn it out. I did so; it was somewhere about £23 odd. There was £16 5s. in cheques, and the remainder in notes and silver; after handing the money to him, he ordered me to lay down on my face and hands; he asked the other chaps if they had any money, and they replied no; he then said we could all go; we rode a short distance, and then addressing me he said, "Stop, I'll take that horse;" he did not take the horse; amongst moneys the prisoner took from me, the cheque produced, marked A, was a part thereof; I gave up the money, seeing the prisoner was armed; and I was afraid of him shooting me. Committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions, Mudgee, 2nd July.
Source: Gulgong Evening Argus, September 5, 1874