Sunday, February 25, 2024

MEDLEY

John Racker Medley was born on 15 December 1828 to George Bowley and Hester Medley at Keynsham, Manchester, Jamaica and baptized at the Look Out, Manchester, Jamaica on 27 January 1830. In 1841 he is living with his parents, brother and sister at Park Place, Lambeth, London. In 1849, he was a semi-finalist, with his brother George Webb Medley who defeated him, in the knockout competition at Simpson's Grand Divan Tavern in the Strand, then the home of chess in England - a competition which, by 1851, had international standing. His brother was a well-known London amateur in chess, and John also became well-known in Sydney as a chess player. In 1851 John was working as a clerk to his brother George, who was a member of the Stock Exchange and dealer in railway shares. He served in the Army in Turkey with the Land Transport Corps, 1855-56. 

He was Sub-Inspector of Police in New South Wales for Bourke, Mudgee and the Gulgong Goldfields, 1862-81. In 1901 he was living in Norris Street London and died at Grantham, 17 December 1902.

NEWS ITEMS

1868 - ANOTHER CHARGE AGAINST THE BUSHRANGER JOHNSON.
The Western Post of Saturday reports, that the following case was heard in the gaol, on Monday, the 1st instant, before Mr. G. Warburton. Charles Johnson, highway robbery under arms. Donald Miller deposed: I am a constable in the Mudgee police force; this evening I charged the prisoner with having stuck-up George Ashton, on the evening of the 6th April last, near Gulgong, and stealing from him about £16 in cheques, and about £4 in notes and silver; I produce a cheque marked A, which I received from Mr. Sub-Inspector Medley this evening; I did not then show the cheque to the prisoner; in reply to
the charge, prisoner asked if the weather was fine outside; I have shown the prisoner the cheque; he declines to look at it. 
George Ashton deposed: I am a farmer, and live at Talbragar; I recollect the evening of 6th April last; I
recollect being near a place called Gulgong; I was travelling on horseback along the road; I was in company with Mr. Woods and two Mr. Campbells, of Mudgee; we were stuck-up by Charles Johnson, now prisoner before the Court. Prisoner rode from behind, cantering his horse; he turned his horse round; he then said "Stand every man, or the first man that stirs hand or foot I will blow his brains out." He then ordered us off our horses. At the time he first spoke he had a revolver in his hand. After I got off my horse he asked me if I had any money. I said I had a little. He then told me to turn it out. I did so; it was somewhere about £23 odd. There was £16 5s. in cheques, and the remainder in notes and silver; after handing the money to him, he ordered me to lay down on my face and hands; he asked the other chaps if they had any money, and they replied no; he then said we could all go; we rode a short distance, and then addressing me he said, "Stop, I'll take that horse;" he did not take the horse; amongst moneys the prisoner took from me, the cheque produced, marked A, was a part thereof; I gave up the money, seeing the prisoner was armed; and I was afraid of him shooting me. Committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions, Mudgee, 2nd July.
Source: Gulgong Evening Argus, September 5, 1874

1874 - Presentation to Mr. Medley
Yesterday afternoon at 4 p.m. there was a goodly muster of the friends of Mr. Sub-Inspector Medley at Hunter’s Albion Hotel, to present him with a testimonial and parting address on his leaving the district for England. There is an air of cordiality and genuineness about the proceedings which must have been conspicuously apparent to all present. The mutuality was complete and without ostentation; there was a genial sympathy. There was present amongst many others Messrs. George and Richard Rouse J. P.’s, L. S. Donaldson, J. F. Stacy, Honour, Clarke, Ramsay, Driscoll, Hunter, Laidley, Lang, Hill and Johnson.

Dr. Ramsay was called upon to address Mr. Medley and present the testimonial, which he did in the following manner.

My Dear Medley—‘The reason I have been selected to offer you this testimonial is, I presume, founded on the fact that of our uninterrupted friendship of so many years. I believe I may state that our friendship commenced with our introduction to each other; and although some very hot arguments have taken place between us leading the uninitiated to believe we were very rude to each other, yet we—you and I—had the secret satisfaction of acknowledging the presence of that ‘Esprit de corps’ which after all is the most durable cement of such a feeling amongst gentlemen.’

Dr. Ramsay then read the following address, which was handsomely illuminated and reflected great credit on the designer—Mr. H. Thurston, of Mudgee:-

‘To John R. Medley, Esq., J.P., Sub-Inspector of Police of NSW-

Dear Sir, - ‘We cannot permit you to leave for Europe without expressing our unqualified approval of the manner in which you have discharged your official duties upon the Gulgong Goldfield, and our regret at the loss of your valuable service.
The order which has been maintained on this field, causing it to be known, in that respect, as the model goldfield of NSW, has been mainly effected by the strict surveillance and efficiency of the police over whom you have so ably presided.
Wishing you a pleasant voyage and prosperity in your future career, we beg you, acceptance of the accompanying purse of sovereigns and of the memorial of a relationship to which we shall always look back on with feelings of esteem and regard. Signed on behalf of the subscribers by J. Hunter, Beauchamp Stacy. Lester S. Donaldson, J.P., A. W. Laidley, Wilson Ramsay, T. C. D., R. H. K. Bennett L. R. C. S. J., R. Rouse, J.P., and Christopher R. Young.

To this address Mr. Medley made the following reply:-
Gulgong, September 4th, 1874
‘Gentlemen’—
‘I cannot find words to express how much I appreciate your very kind address—indeed, word cannot convey to you my feelings; especially your warm encomiums on the discharge of my public duties affect me.
You have very much overrated my services, although I can most truly say that I have always striven to perform those duties for the wellbeing of the public.
The Gulgong people have been a model for good order, and an example to all other mining districts, for their love of regularity and obedience to the law. If it had not been so, how could the large population at a time numbering about 13,000--have been kept in control by the small body of police under my command.
One source of my success has arisen from the prompt and kind cooperation which has been so readily and kindly accorded to me by the peace-loving inhabitants of Gulgong, and another is my having ever been so most zealously seconded by the non commissioned officers and men under my direction.
I most heartily thank you for the very handsome testimonial.’

Mr. Medley was loudly cheered on the conclusion of his address; and champagne having been ordered, a prosperous voyage and future success was toasted in a bumper.
Pleasant conversation followed and the friends separated, as they had met, in good friendship—happy to meet, sorry to part and happy to meet again.
Source: GULGONG EVENING ARGUS, September 5, 1874