Friday, May 5, 2023

ARCHIE WATT

Archie Watt
Source: Barbara Gurney

This letter was written during WWI by Archie Watt. In it he mentioned other Gulgong men fighting at Gallipoli. His brother Walter was killed the week before Archie arrived at Gallipoli and his brother Fred was killed on the Somme. Archie died during the evacuation of Gallipoli and is buried on Lemnos.

Gallipoli
Nov 14th 1915
Dear Homefolk
Yesterday was the greatest mail day in the history of me, 8 letters 1 paper 1 small parcel. Being on outpost last night and having today off I must seize this opportunity and scrawl pretty considerable. We are having fine weather, the nights a bit cool. We are having pretty easy times at present and are all in the best of health with appetites like horses.
I went for a walk round the trenches several days ago and discovered several old Gulgongites Ray Naugton, Leo Manusa I couldn’t find, although he was close about somewhere, Bill Buckley who is about the tallest man on Gallipoli, Joe Stafford’s brother I forget his Christian name. Jim Heddle I haven’t located yet. I believe they are rolling in in great style from Gulgong and I think they will all be wanted before this scrap is over.
I suppose Fred is well on his way by this time. I have had no news from Nth Queensland since about two weeks before I left Enoggery so I haven’t much idea how things are up there. You might tell them when you write that a letter wouldn’t be amiss. Although this letter resembles somewhat a donkey’s gallop, I hope you wont complain as I am not allowed to tell all I would like to about this place. I must store all this up till I get home. Now with love to you all I will close.
Yours lovingly
Archie

Archie Watt's grave at Lemnos
Source: Barbara Gurney