Friday, October 9, 2026

SONGS

These lyrics, typed on folded, yellow pages, were found among O'Brien family documents. They were likely used by members of Gulgong Musical and Dramatic Society for local performances in the Gulgong Opera House.

Unnamed

Goin' back to good old Gulgong,
Goin' back to good old Gulgong,
Got a pretty girl there, with a sunny smile,
Says she's gettin' tired of drinking "wait-a-while*",
So I'm goin' back today,
You can send along the mail.
Got to build a little home in Moonlight Street,
Never more to roam,
That's the life for me, in good old Gulgong town,
Do you mean Mudgee? No - Good old Gulgong town.


GULGONG, HERE I COME**

1st verse.
When the wintry winds are blowing,
And the loneliness of cities makes you blue,
Then my eyes turn westwards knowing
There's a place where folks will say "How do!"
Gulgong! Gulgong! I've been blue
Since I've been away from you.
I can't wait till I get going -
Even now I'm startin' back to you.

CHORUS.
Gulgong! Gulgong! Here I come,
Right back where I started from,
Where people are homely and friendly and fun,
And meet you, and greet you with "Hi ya kid", and "howdy, Son!"
A pretty miss said "Come back home."
That's why I check out at noon,
I'll be back on Mayne Street soon - Yippy!
Gulgong, here I come!

2nd verse.
Any one who likes to wander
Ought to keep this saying in his mind - 
Absence makes the heart grow fonder
Of the good old place we leave behind.
When you've been away awhile, 
Seems you rarely see a smile - 
That's why I must get to Gulgong,
Where a frown is mighty hard to find. Oh!

CHORUS.  Gulgong! Gulgong! Here I come etc.


HOMETOWN***

Hometown - want to wander round your back streets,
See your tumble down old shack streets,
I'd love to walk in on those corny country cousins of mine.
Hometown - where the doves are softly cooing,
Where there's always nothing doing,
I'd get a welcome  from those corny country cousins of mine.

There's an old school house door
We used to tumble thro' at four,
And a small candy store,
Where I could get a dozen lollipops and come for more.

Hometown - where the garden trees are shady,
Where our Eadie was a lady,
I'm going back to see those corny country cousins of mine.

* "Wait-a-while" was the name of one of the original gold leads.

** A modified version of Al Jolson's "California, Here I Come" (1924)

*** This appears to be a version of a song of the same name by 1930s singing and comedy duo Flanagan and Allan (Bud Flanagan and Chesney Allen).